- The league shall be subject to the rules of hockey.
- The league will be divided into divisions as agreed at the AGM.
- Two teams will be promoted and two teams relegated between the divisions of the league each season.
- Declining promotion or relegation will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.
Teams and Players
- All players must be aged 35 years or over on the day of a match.
- The average age of the players on the pitch at any time during a match must be over 40 years.
- In exceptional circumstances a team may include a goalkeeper who is under 35 years of age. In such circumstances:
- The agreement of the opposition must be obtained prior to the match
- The goalkeeper must be of equivalent standard to a veteran goalkeeper.
- The average age rule will apply to the remaining players excluding the goalkeeper.
- No restriction is placed on the number of matches participated in by each player on the day of a match.
- Fixture dates shall be agreed at the AGM.
- Fixtures will be published prior to the start of the season.
- Matches may be re-arranged by clubs if:
- Both team agree
- The league secretary is informed of the re-arranged date, time and venue at least 15 days prior to the published date
- The re-arranged date must be before the last published date for the division.
- In the event of cancellation due to weather, the result will be recorded as a nil – nil draw.
- In the event of a concession, the result will be recorded as a five – nil win to the team that did not concede.
- A match may be started at any time between 10.00.a.m. and 4.30.p.m. provided that no team is required to leave its home ground before 9.00 a.m. or arrive back after 7.30.p.m after adding thirty minutes to the estimated normal travelling time
- If a match is conceded, after 9pm on the Wednesday preceding the scheduled date, a club should be able to recoup costs if this is necessary e.g. pitch hire, post-match food.
- A match may only be abandoned once it has commenced by the unanimous decision of both umpires. The captains of both teams shall be deemed to have transferred their powers in this respect to the umpires jointly.
- In the event of abandonment, the result will stand if 50 minutes or more of the match has been played. Otherwise, the game will be replayed.